Saturday, October 13, 2007

Quit Your Job (if it's killing you)

Chad and I did this about 7 years ago, and I am so glad we did. We both had great paying jobs that were killing us, and our relationship. Had we stayed, we would have gotten divorced, I'm sure of it. After taking the initial leap and fearing that we would starve, we both ended up doing what we love. I teach, he builds.
Chad started his own business knowing he couldn't do shoddy work for cheap bosses and now has more business than he can keep up with. I ended up teaching piano and music education to kids that I truly care about and it makes me happy. Supremely, deeply and unequivocally happy.

How many of you can say that about your jobs? I know that we could have more material goods, and eat out all the time, and not buy generic if I had chosen to stay at the worst job in the world. But you know what? We don't need more stuff, and eating out is a pain with small children, and generic tastes just the same as name brand, especially when you put it into a Tupperware container and there are no colorful cartoons to distract you anyways.

And believe it or not, hard work is good for your soul.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

yah for you!

Ankhetperue said...

You are seriously the most amazing person I have ever met in my entire life. Most people wouldn't have done that.

This is Michelle, by the way. I finally got around to making a blog on here. It's a secret though, don't tell anyone. <3